In 1926 Kensington Primary School opened its doors to students. The first student enrolled at the school was Philip Garbutt and the school’s first principal was Mr Oswald Derrick. Only one year later the number of students enrolled at the school reached 220.
2021 is the 95th anniversary of the school opening and the community celebrated this special occasion with a fete in November 2021.
The Kensington area was very different to what it is now with only two streets in the area – Fremantle Road (now Canning Highway) and Brandon Street. The total cost to build the school was £4050.00.
The school was originally comprised of four classrooms and two hat rooms, and over the years has grown to include a senior block with four classrooms and art room, music block, library, junior block with 10 classrooms, three Pre-primary classrooms and an offsite kindy. The school also now enjoys an undercover play area where assemblies are held, netball courts, a tennis court and play equipment dotted around the grounds.